James Cumming has spent his life serving the city he loves.
James grew up, raised his children, and currently resides in the southern part of Edmonton-Centre. James and his wife, Debbie, live a few blocks from the home he and his four siblings grew up in. In this home, James learned from his father, Keith, and his mother, Liz, what hard work and responsibility look like. James has applied those values throughout his career and instilled them in his son and two daughters.
James graduated from NAIT and went on to have a successful career in business, construction and real estate. He is currently the CEO of the HGA Group of Companies. More important than his business accomplishments, being a good father to his children is what James is most proud of. In the Cumming family, attending a soccer game took precedence over board meetings.
Now that his children are adults, James is committed to ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities he enjoyed. This new challenge will allow James to focus on his true passion of building the Edmonton community. James values integrity, hard work, fiscal responsibility and most importantly, family. James is a staunch supported of the city of Edmonton and its Province through participation on various volunteer boards. He is an active community volunteer, and in particular, charity work for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Instrumental in leading a fund raising campaign to establish a University of Alberta Research Chair in the name of Garrett Cumming. Took on challenge of Half Iron Man Triathlon to raise funds
Current Board Memberships and Associations
Fort Edmonton Management Board
Make a Wish Northern Alberta
Junior Achievement, Since 2005
Kaizen Synergies Inc., Since 2004
N.A.I.T. Board of Governors, Since 2004
- Chaired governance and building committees; directing a large capital expansion of $400M in construction projects.
Young President’s Association Member, Since 1997
Harvard Business School Alumni Member, Since 1999
Previous Boards & Associations
Active participation in the corporate, non-profit and development communities with expertise in governance, building / construction and compensation planning with;
- Kerr Interiors / Composite Building Systems
- Muscular Dystrophy Association of Canada, Chairman of the Board and Board Member Roles
- Fort Edmonton Historical Foundation, Northlands Park, Alberta Performing Arts Stabilization Board Director, Junior Acheivement
- Edmonton Chamber of Commerce Chair and Director, Edmonton Construction Association Director, Alberta Construction Safety Association Director and Executive, Alberta Opportunity Corporation and Alberta Economic Development Authority
- N.A.I.T. Board of Governors Member and Board Chair
- Young President’s Association Member, Since 1997
- Harvard Business School Alumni Member, Since 1999